Our single-minded focus on engineered wood products demonstrates our commitment to builders. It also drives our ability to meet the needs and demands of builders with products that perform—reducing construction costs, minimizing waste, increasing energy efficiency, fostering safe home environments, and creating flexible architectural and design possibilities.?
From our company to our products and programs, LP performs for builders—as well as for the architects, specifying engineers, dealers and distributors who support them—making it possible to build better homes.
LP will be a respected, profitable and growing manufacturer of building products that is the supplier of choice because of our quality products and reliable services, and the employer of choice because we are a safe, ethical, fun, challenging and rewarding place to work.
Safety & Health
Safety is a core value at LP, and we believe no one should get injured while working at our company. Our innovative safety and health processes are at the forefront of everything we do. We start every meeting, every mill tour, and every morning with a message about safety. Employee, contractor and guest safety is our top priority every day.
We’re proud that our company continues to win awards for outstanding safety achievements. Here’s some of the recent recognition we’ve received:
- Won APA’s Safest Company Award for both 2015 and 2014—and we’ve been named Safest Company With Four Or More Mills five out of the last seven years
- Won APA’s 2015 Equipment-Based Innovation In Safety Award—the third year in a row that we’ve received an “Innovation In Safety” award
- Won 2015 Best Overall Safety Record in the American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA) annual safety benchmark review
- Eleven LP mills earned a place in the Incident-Free Honor Society for 2015
- Made EHS Today’s list of America’s Safest Companies twice (2007 and 2013)
LP also continues to garner awards for customer service, quality and community involvement:
- Won David Weekley Homes Partner of Choice Award (2011, 2014, 2015), earning the highest “A,A” ranking in both service and quality
- Won 2011 “Community Service In Contracting” Award from the National Association of State Contractors Licensing Agencies (NASCLA) for our positive impact on communities through fundraising efforts, contributions of time, labor and materials, and generous donations to charities
- Won 2016?Golden Cone Award for Sustainability, honoring our Park(let) in association with Nashville?Park(ing) Day.
Building Our Healthy Future
Making small, positive changes in our health and wellness can add up. LP provides resources for employees and their families to improve their health and wellness. We offer health screenings, counseling and other resources to help employees reach their goals. These resources can help participating employees reduce their healthcare deductibles as well as promote a sustainable, healthy lifestyle.
All LP locations maintain safety protocols and programs for employees and contractors. We maintain a safety and health calendar with training sessions held throughout the year, focused on safe jobsite skills and performance.
LP maintains Safety Committees made up of management and employees who participate in jobsite inspections, incident investigations, and observation of workplace behaviors. We promote safety and encourage employees to learn more about safe practices. Programs include:
- Incident and Near Miss Investigation
LP encourages near miss incident reporting so that we can better handle incidents and prevent injuries in the future.
- Contractor Safety
All contractors that work with LP in the United States must complete a safety orientation and have a valid Safe Work Permit. Some contractors are pre-qualified for safety through the Tennessee Valley Training Center (TVTC). They must hold an Experience Modification Rate (EMR) of 0.99 or less and a Total Recordable Rate (TRR) of 5.0 or less to be considered for work, unless otherwise approved by safety and operations leadership. All approved contractors’ ratings are available in the TVTC database and are available through requisitioners at LP locations.
- Community Safety
Many LP employees are EMTs and firefighters in our communities. It’s through community programs, such as our Community Impact Grant, that we’re able to assist communities with grants for projects such as emergency training facilities, bike trails, and alarm systems for schools.
LP’s goal is always ZERO injuries. Over the last 10 years, our safety results have steadily improved. LP has twice been named one of America’s Safest Companies, and we have consistently received safety accolades from APA for our industry-leading results. Every year, we reach higher and keep striving to make new safety records. We use OSHA standards to measure our Total Incident Rating (TIR) by calculating the number of injuries per 100 employees. In 2012 LP achieved a record TIR of 0.46, in 2013 it was 0.54, and in 2014 our TIR was 0.35. At LP, we make safety a top priority each and every day.